The “Alfons-Kern tower”
was part of the former “Alfons Kern school”, a vocational school for watch manufacturers and other trades. After the school´s old building was destroyed during the war, it reopened in 1953. In 1957 the school was named “Alfons-Kern-Schule” in honor of the town master mason of Pforzheim, Alfons Kern. On the southern side of the staircase tower, in 1956 a solar clock designed by the artists Wolfgang Kappis and Rolf Gröger was installed as a visible sign of the watchmaker’s craft in Pforzheim. When the school was ragged in 2010, the solar clock, which is under a preservation order, saved the tower from being destroyed. Today it is a space for design and art projects.
It is located in front of the EMMA – creative centre Pforzheim, in Theaterstrasse 21, 75175 Pforzheim.
Opening hours: 11:00-19:00
The “Alfons Kern tower” can be used from April till October as a public showroom or project space.
Please send inquiries for a use of the “Alfons-Kern-Turm” to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 07231 39 3750. A usage for private purposes is excluded.
The rebuilding of the “Alfons-Kern-Turm” was financed by:
Werner Wild Stiftung
Thüga AG, Munich
City of Pforzheim